So my friend Jackie updated her web site recently. If you get a chance you should check out her work http://www.jackiebrethen.com/
Well she said something in her website that totally captures something I have been thinking...
"My frustrations in photography parallel my frustrations in relationships. In both arenas, I often find myself hampered by how much I rely merely on what is visual. Photographs depict a subject’s surface in one moment of time; the photograph isn’t the subject itself. The photograph isn’t the woman or man. The photograph is just the impression that light from the subject makes on the film over a distance. Photographs only catch the surface light for a brief moment in time, for an instant. They don’t record what came before or what comes after the shutter is open. They only tell the briefest of stories. They are only a sliver. I want more than that.
Sometimes I feel like relationships are slivered that way. We only see each other from the outside most of the time. We don’t usually perceive what happens before or after our time with others. More importantly we don’t see inside the other’s head. We are held separate from the subjects of our photographs and our affections. Sometimes this separateness becomes an almost tangible aching gap. Unknownness. That’s what e.e. cummings called it. It has it’s own name. And I believe it has it’s own form, too. "
Beautifully said Jackie
No comments:
Post a Comment